Donate to LAC
Getting to the heart of autism means opening yours.
It means seeing people's gifts, rather than focusing solely on their challenges.
It means glimpsing possibilities, where others only see problems.
It means realizing that you can't do everything, but that you can do enough to make a difference.
The LAC began because one father, Dr. Robert Scharstein, saw that autism families like his needed support. In the early 1990's, finding vital services for individuals with autism was extremely challenging. During that period – when autism prevalence was limited to approximately 1 in every 2,000 births – it wasn't surprising that supports were few.
But today, those numbers are very different. Today, autism occurs in 1 in every 68 births in the US. CDC rates are 1 in 54 for boys, and 1 in 252 for girls. And a recent study indicates that occurrence rates may be closer to 1 in 34.
The numbers have changed dramatically, yet many of the same difficulties remain.
Autism is an epidemic. A Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) study revealed that the likelihood of an American school-aged child being diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder increased 72% in just 4-5 years, from 2007 to 2011-12. Even as the population of individuals on the spectrum skyrockets, vital supports and resources lag far behind.
But we don't need to tell you how hard it is to find the help that you and your families need. If you know and love someone with autism, you already know how challenging it can be. We're not here to complain about how much needs to be done. Instead, we're here to invite you into the work we're already doing.
The Power of Your Gift
The LAC is comprised of volunteers; no one on our leadership team or board receives a salary. As such, your donations go directly toward providing no-cost information, events, and support for the Charleston-area autism community. We do what we do because we see a need, and because we believe in the tremendous potential of people with autism.
We are a non-profit organization, and we don't receive government funding. Instead, we turn to you for support, welcoming your gifts with gratitude.
Your Gift Allows Us To:
- Connect families impacted by Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASDs) with essential, regionally-based services and supports
- Offer free, practical, up-to-date information through our website, blog, extensive resource lists, newsletter, and social media feeds
- Present free annual events: our Autism Forum (which draws nearly a thousand attendees each year to hear from top autism experts), as well as an annual Autism Business Conference and Autism Town Hall Meeting
- Facilitate collaborations between organizations (because we can do so much more together than we can do on our own)
- Tell families through our words and actions: You're not alone. There is hope.
Make your secure, tax-deductible contribution today!
2015 Lowcountry Autism Consortium, Inc. All rights reserved. The Lowcountry Autism Consortium is a qualified 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization.